Saturday, July 14, 2007

Awesome Film!!!

One of the 2D animation students (Thanks Marcus!) at the school just showed me this film today during my stop-motion class. It's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen...the posing, the clay! And a wonderful message...appears to be that the world of diversity in color invades the 'set-in-their-ways' Pharisse-like "whiteys" in order to create a beautiful cake! Hmmm...rather spiritual?

Looks like they might have done some replacement animation using 2D reference and sculpted 'Puppetoon'-ish puppets for each frame. It's very much along the lines of a film idea I have kickin' around in my head for a future film project.

I don't hesitate to say that this film might have just changed my life.

4 comments:

Steve Segal said...

Hi Ken,

That is a beautiful piece. Do you know its origin? It looks like it might be part of a compilation film based on opera. In the film, different animators each interpret a song using different techniques. Guionne Leroy animated a puppet sequence, which she showed me when we were both working on Toy Story. I have also seen a segment done in CG on PBS.

It was nice meeting you in Portland. And thank for including my picture.
Steve Segal

Ken A. Priebe said...

The posting on YouTube says...
This is Guionne Leroy's 1993 short "Noi Siamo Zingarelle" [We are Gypsies] that was released with the out-of-print "Opera Imaginaire" animation anthology. Several PBS stations used to use it as a filler segment between programs.

LampshadeMan said...

Wow!That is awesome story, well done. I love the imaginitive fluidity of the characters. I've fulfilled my quality film quota for today.

Hey, Ken,

It's Jodie Hudson, one of Steve Stanchfields students who did some inbetweening for you. I found your link on Cartoon Brew. How's the film coming along?

Ken A. Priebe said...

Hey Jodie!
Film is coming along well...I have a production blog for it now, storytimewithnigel.blogspot.com

The shot you worked on is posted...thanks for your help! I'll let you know when I need a hand again.